Meet our Project Partners
The key to success for each of our projects, big and small, in the DPRK has been true collaboration between partners on both sides of the border – who care enough about the outcomes to overcome all of the obstacles to make the projects succeed. We could not do it alone.
Our first longstanding partner for almost two decades has been KOMT, the Committee for the Promotion of International Trade, which is now under the Ministry of External Economic Cooperation. We have a unique working relationship with KOMT – which is not the standard government body dealing with foreign NGO’s, because as Rotarians we are not a charity, we are non-religious and non-political, and because our clubs are made up of businessmen and women and professionals who choose to serve in our spare time.
Business people strive for efficiency, for impact and expect accountability from their partners. KOMT consistently excels at providing this to us and has been our partner with a multitude of projects including:
- Shelterbox distributions of disaster relief aid
- The Sun Oven project
- The Ryongchon Wheelchair project
- Football Play it Forward
- Haeju Solar WASH project
Korea Red Cross General Hospital
As one of the leading hospitals in the country, KRCGH was our project partner for the DPRK Gift of Life project where we brought two young Korean boys to Shanghai for life-saving heart surgery and subsequently for the donation of antibiotic medicine. KRCGH is now in discussion with the Shanghai Chest Hospital regarding a sharing of technology and expertise regarding modern surgical techniques, and we are exploring opportunities to improve dental facilities and techniques.
Korea Federation for the Protection of the Disabled
KFPD has a mandate throughout the country to care of the needs of orphans as well as the disabled of all ages. KFPD has been a key partner for the distribution of critical medical supplies, distribution of wheelchairs in the country, and the renovation of a paediatric operating theatre that was led by Rotaracters.
KFPD works closely in-country with Humanity & Inclusion (formerly Handicap International):
Learn more about the needs of the disabled in the DPRK by reading Katharina Zellweger's paper: People with Disabilities in a Changing North Korea
As a loose and informal network of Rotarians and like-minded individuals we often rely on the support of established NGO’s that have systems in place and specialized expertise they can bring to bear to better implement our projects and to leverage our limited resources.
Humanity and Inclusion
Based in Shanghai, China, Huaoqiao Foundation helps the needy in Western China as well as surrounding countries including Myanmar, Vietnam and the DPRK. Huaqiao has provided financial, administrative and logistical support to several of our projects.
Based in Cornwall, UK, ShelterBox provides disaster relief aid to families around the world. Shelterbox has conducted several deployments to the DPRK.
- As Pyongyang celebrates, British aid worker reveals poverty of rural North Korea (telegraph)
- Rotarian helps ShelterBox deliver aid in North Korea (Shelterbox Australia)
- Cold, hard facts from the DPRK (youtube)
- Shelterbox: Working in North Korea (youtube)
- Images from Shelterbox in DPRK 2013 (flickr)
- Images from Shelterbox in DPRK 2015 (flickr)
- Images from Shelterbox in DPRK 2016 (flickr)
Over the years we have enjoyed the generous support of many companies willing to help us realize our project goals. In recent years this has been much harder as economic sanctions have become ever more severe. Nevertheless we thank our commercial partners over the years for helping our projects to succeed. Among them:
- DHL (logistics provider)
- OTIM (Organizzazioni Trasporti Internazionali Marittimi), Italy (logistics provider)
- Korea Business Consultants, Beijing, China (market entry consultancy)
- Korea Foreign Transportation Corporation (logistics provider)
- Koryo Tours Ltd. (private tour agency – & more)
- Phoenix Commercial Ventures Ltd., Hong Kong (JV investor)
- P&O Nedloyd Ltd. (since acquired by Maersk)(logistics provider)
Become a Partner
If you would like to partner with us, fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly.